BEFORE THE MOBILITY
If you are interested in becoming an Erasmus+ student at Matej Bel University in Banská Bystrica (MBU), please read carefully the information below about our application procedure.
1. START OF THE APPLICATION PROCESS
First, we need to receive official nomination from your home university by e-mail to:
email@example.com, containing following information:
- First and last name
- Date of birth
- Sending institution/Erasmus code if applicable
- Study programme at your home institution and degree of studies
- Semester of study at Matej Bel University
- Contact e-mail address
Nomination deadline is as follow:
Winter semester/whole Academic year – nomination is opened from 1st May, deadline is 15th June
Summer semester – nomination is opened from 1st September, deadline is 15th October
2. FURTHER STEPS TO TAKE
Once we receive your nomination, you will be asked to provide us with following –
deadline is 15th July (Winter term/whole AY) and 15th November (Summer term):
2.1 Online Application Form
After the official nomination, you will be asked to fill in our Online Application Form. Complete all required fields, attach the necessary documents (pdf of downloaded Online Learning Agreement/or other form of Learning Agreement, Transcript of Records and Language Certificate) and submit the application.
Note: in our Online Application Form you need to complete place of birth fully (city, zip-code, country), provide the full permanent/current address (street, number, city, zip-code, country), correctly insert the period of the stay and arrival date!
2.2 Learning Agreement (attachement to the Application Form)
A selection of courses you wish to take during your study stay at MBU – preparation of your study plan (please discuss the selection with your home coordinator): https://www.umb.sk/medzinarodne-vztahy/incoming-exchange-student/course-catalogue.html
Note: Course offer is always the current academic year offer, so you can do pre-selection of courses. However, slight changes in course offer in the next academic year, or schedule collision, might occur at the start of the semester, so you will need to do changes in your study plan once you arrive to our institution. Be aware of this fact.
Further instruction to follow:
- Erasmus+ study: complete your Online Learning Agreement – sign it online, get approved and signed online by the responsible person at your home university. Once done, download pdf and attach to the Online Application Form (ask your coordinator on OLA or check this Guideline)
- Erasmus+ traineeship/traineeship graduate: it is considered individually. In case of interest, please forward your email, including your CV+motivation letter+document Learning Agreement for a traineeship/traineeship graduate) to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: if your home university can NOT provide you with OLA (Online Learning Agreement), you can use other form of document Learning Agreement.
2.3 Transcript of Records (attachement to the Application Form)
A summary of your previous study results. It must be issued in English and confirmed by the relevant person at your home university.
2.4 Language Certificate (attachement to the Application Form)
A certificate that proves your level of English (which is the study language). It can be either an international language certificate or a document issued by your home university, always signed and stamped.
2.5 Copy of your ID/passport (requested from you in a separate e-mail until the Application deadline)
We need to obtain from you copy of your valid identity card or valid travel document.
Note: Student of a NON-EU country, who holds a temporary residence permit in other EU and will proceed the mobility at our institution, needs to send us ALSO the copy of valid temporary residence card in other EU country.
- In case you wish to stay in Student Dormitory of MBU BB, you need to mark your request in our online Application Form (section whether you wish to stay in dorm or not);
- Matej Bel University has 5 dorms, but our short-term exchange students usually stay in dorm – Student Dormitory 3 (SD3), Tajovského 51, Banská Bystrica;
- dorm is devided into blocks, it has 2 combined rooms (1x single, 1x tripple) with shared toilet and bathroom;
- there is very small amount of single rooms, therefore students are placed mostly into tripples;
- payment for dorm is made prior your arrival, for the whole semester, via internet banking, details will be provided to you 2 weeks before arrival (currently 69,- eur /month/tripple-room);
- you will be requested to provide the confirmation of payment for dormitory (printed version, or in the mobile phone) upon your arrival at the reception;
- at the reception – you will collect the room-key and bed-linen. Pillow and duvet is provided in the room, bed-linen is changed regularly. You need to bring your own towels;
- all necessary formalities (registration, dormitory card) needs to be completed right the next working day, Mon-Fri 7:30-14:30;
- once you arrive to the dormitory reception – you need the valid ID/passport, you will fill-in the registration form for the Foreign Police;
- for the Dormitory Card – you need 2 pcs photo 3,5 cm x 4 cm;
- you can request extra blanket and little lamp if needed;
- shared kitchens are available on each floor, equipped with the fridge and cooker;
- drinkable water is available in the room and in the kitchen;
- you can use your own electronic devices (kettle, mini-fridge, etc...) for free of charge, but the dormitory staff needs to be informed;
- dormitory rules are available in English in the dorm reception
- shared laundry room available in the dormitory for the purchase (only EUR coins!)
- student dormitory is available only for students, NOT for the family members/relatives/friends
- in the room - connection possible only via cable (you need to bring your own cable - LAN cabel RJ46) – login details request via email at: email@example.com. For this internet connection you need to use your personal UMB account available 1-3 days after your arrival. Logins you will receive as a notification into your personal academic system AIS2 (your logins to AIS2 personal account you will receive via email) – in the message box;
- free WIFI: entrance hall in SD3, connection corridor between blocks C and F in Break Bar.
Nationals of the European Union, the European Economic Area and Switzerland:
- you should obtain before arrival to Slovakia the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from the health insurance institution to which you are affiliated to
Nationals of other countries:
- you need to get commercial health insurance, valid for the entire stay in Slovakia, before your arrival to Slovakia
3. HOW TO FIND OUT IF YOU HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED?
Once you have succesfully submitted the online Application Form, including all requested attachments and documents, you will receive a confirmation email and we will confirm your Online Learning Agreement/other form of Learning Agreement.
Only NON-EU students will be provided with the Letter of Acceptance, as scanned document via email.
At this point you have been officially accepted and can start to plan your stay at Matej Bel University
If you have not received any confirmation email within 10 days from submitting, it means your Application Form has not been submitted correctly. Contact IRO MBU coordinator directly via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. WHEN DO YOU HAVE TO BE AT MATEJ BEL UNIVERSITY?
Orientation Day – organised online only, via Microsoft Teams, by International Cooperation Office MBU, so you can participate from anywhere, no need to be in Slovakia - Winter term: mid August; Summer term: mid January.
Welcome Week – organised physically by ESN MBU BB and you are adviced to participate. Plan your arrival to Banská Bystrica according to this info.
- Winter term: an event will be 1 week before the official start of the semester (it is already part of your enrollment and Certificate of Arrival can be confirmed from the first day of Welcome Week event);
- Summer term: an event will be organised during the 1st week of the semester (Certificate of Arrival can be confirmed from this date only).
Winter semester 2023/24 - from 18th September 2023 to 3rd February 2024
Summer semester 2023/24 - from 5th February 2024 to 22nd June 2024
DURING THE MOBILITY
You are already at Matej Bel University, part of the Erasmus+ community
- you need to visit our International Cooperation Office, Incoming Students Coordinator - Mrs. Jana Hubáčeková – to welcome you and confirm your arrival document issued by your home university;
- you will be provided with all access logins - to our academic system AIS2 (via email), to your university email account/moodle/teams (via notificaton in your AIS2 account);
- request your student UMB card/ISIC card to receive discounts – check the instructions below;
- check your Course Schedule correctly - you have 2 weeks from the start of the semester to do any changes in your prepared study plan. You need to mark every change in your document Learning Agreement – part „changes/during the mobility“. Also this needs to be agreed and signed by your home coordinator, signed by you, and then by our institution. Do not forget this step.
Then, enjoy your classes and new journey. You need to attend every class - if not possible due to the illness, you need to always inform your teacher.
And of course, travel as much as possible and have fun.
AFTER THE MOBILITY
Your stay should be for the duration of our semester and all courses and exams should be completed.
Your departure documents (Confirmation of mobility, Transcript of Records) will be issued, and provided online, only after propel check-out, you need to do as follow:
- those staying in Student Dormitory - notify dormitory staff 2 weeks ahead about your exact date of departure, so they can check your room and payment;
- return the dorm ID and room-key;
- return all books to the library.
Confirmation of mobility – we sign and stamp document issued by your home university ONLY after your departure, or ON the day of your departure, never before you go (document will be provided scanned via email to you and your home university after the completed mobility). If original needed, then it will be posted to your home university address.
Transcript of records – will be issued, stamped and signed ONLY when all evaluation given and visible in AIS2 system. Document will be provided scanned via email to you and to your home university. If original needed, then it will be posted to your home university.
5. HOW TO APPLY FOR AN ISIC CARD?
- You DO NOT obtain the ISIC card from International Cooperation Office;
- You can request the ISIC card, once you arrived to MBU BB, via email to: email@example.com - in the email you need to write: your name, surname, which programe at MBU, which hosting faculty. Attached needs to be filled-in and signed Application Form (request the form via email before your arrival to MBU BB) + upload your photo;
- - if you have a valid ISIC card from other country – scan the front page of the card with visible number of the card and send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org - in the email you need to write: your name, surname, which programe at MBU, which hosting faculty + scan of ISIC card
- you will receive the notification to your AIS2 account (Academic Information System of MBU) regarding the payment of 25,- eur (17,- eur if you have ISIC card from another country) for ISIC card;
- once payment is processed – you will be notified via email that your card is ready to collect in person upon the appointment at:
University card office (ISIC)
Street: Cesta na amfiteáter 1
Office Nr. 323, new rear building of the Faculty of Economics, 3rd floor