Recognition of the Evidence of Formal Qualifications
Pursuant to § 33 of Act no. 422/2015 Coll. on recognition of evidence of formal qualifications as amended (hereinafter referred to as the Act) regarding the recognition of evidence of formal qualifications such as university diplomas, state exam certificates, certificates of awarded academic titles, pedagogic and scientific titles and degrees issued by other universities in an EU member state or another state, for the purpose of enrolment in UMB study programmes, the decision on recognition shall be made by:
a. a recognized university in the Slovak Republic which provides study programmes in identical or similar fields of study to those defined on the submitted certificate of formal qualifications, or
b. The Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic, if there is no university that provides study programmes in identical or similar fields of study to those provided on the submitted certificate.
Application for the recognition of evidence of formal qualifications
- in accordance with our legislation all documents must be officially translated into Slovak language. If you do not have the opportunity to do this, you will have to have the official translation of your documents done into English (it means the diploma and diploma supplement or record of all exams during the whole study). When you have the translation from your language to English, then you can find an official translator in Slovakia and agree on it with them about the translation. This is not arranged by our university, students do it themselves.
Pursuant to § 33 Section 3 of the Act, an application for the recognition of formal qualifications must be accompanied by:
- a copy of an identity document,
- certified copies of all relevant evidence of formal qualifications,
- an extract of subjects and exams taken and passed,
- a certified copy of any appendix to a university diploma, if issued by such educational institution,
- information on the prior levels of education achieved before this application,
- authentication of the signatures and stamp of the educational institution on the documents by a recognized authority of a member state or another state competent to do so (apostille or superlegalization), if not provided otherwise in an international agreement.
The copies of all of your educational documents (diploma, diploma supplement, transcript of records of all of the subjects from your bachelor/ master studies) must be verified by apostille or superlegalized (if your country has no signed agreement about apostille – the Hague agreement).
See the list of countries and the verification: https://www.apostille.info/
The apostille is issued by relevant office (e.g. ministry of education in the country that issued the document).
The superlegalisation means that the signature of the legal representative of your school must be approved by the relevant office (e.g. ministry of education in the country that issued the document), subsequently by the ministry of foreign affairs (in the country that issued the diploma) and the area relevant deputy office in the Slovak Republic. If the original is not to be used, but the notarized copy issued instead, the signature of the notary has to be approved in the same way (the notary that notarized the copy in your country). It is therefore better to send us the superlagalized original document.
You need to enclose the document from your secondary education (the certificate from final exam) in case you ask for recognition of bachelor study (high school) and in case of master study, you need to enclose the certificate of bachelor study or certificate from high school.
- proof of payment of the fee
1) administrative fee of € 5 for the recognition of evidence of formal qualifications for purposes other than the purpose of pursuing a regulated profession; if Slovak Republic has an international agreement on the mutual recognition of evidence of formal educational documents with the country where the document was acquired;
- List of states with an existing mutual international treaty with the Slovak Republic on academic recognition:
- Czech Republic
- Russian Federation
- People's Republic of China
2) an admission fee of € 30 for the recognition of evidence of formal qualifications for purposes other than the purpose of pursuing a regulated profession; if Slovak Republic does not have an international agreement on the mutual recognition of equivalence of educational documents with the state in which the document was acquired.
You need to enclose the proof of the payment in the amount of 30€ as for the admission fee (it can be bought in Slovak Republic at the post office - "KOLOK" in Slovak language), or we can send you the payment order for non-cash bank transfer.
All documents need to be send to this address:
Univerzita Mateja Bela v Banskej Bystrici
Referát pre pedagogickú činnosť
974 01 Banská Bystrica
The applicant is obliged to submit a certified translation of all relevant documents in the state language -Slovak.